Search This Blog

Friday 23 August 2013

Becoming a florist: DIY bridal bouquets


I don’t recommend every bride do their own flowers.  Honestly I wasn’t even sure I was going to pull it off, but I had already decided I wasn’t going to pay $300 for a rose bridal bouquet so there was no going back from there. 
The whole process began when my friend Amy recommended her florist from her wedding.  Since I had chosen pretty common and readily available flowers I figured it would cost that much to accomplish the look I had in mind.  I didn’t want to just go with the first florist that was recommended to me so I started doing some research.  As I got deeper and deeper into the prices of simple floral center pieces I realized that even just 10 small floral arrangements was going to eat my whole flower budget and then where did that leave me for my bouquets?  Over budget, that’s where.
I was talking to my step-mom one day about flowers and she mentioned that her boss’s son ordered wholesale flowers from a friend who used to work with her and that he could save us a ton on flowers but we would have to do all of the arrangements our self.  So we went about buying some test flowers from the Cloverdale flea market and spent an afternoon getting an idea of the formula we would need to use to create all of the arrangements the day before the wedding.  After about 3 hours we pretty much had it figured out along with how many and what kinds of flowers we would need.  Since our colours were teal and red, we decided that all the flowers should be red since all the table over lays would be teal. 


We used flowers that were the same shape and size as flowers we would use in the actual arrangements.

About a month later I went about finding a florist to do just my bridal bouquets.  Again, I search online fro good reviews and low prices.  The lowest I found was $300 for a bridal bouquet and $150 for bridesmaids bouquets.  I guess we are cancelling all our floral arrangements cause that’s our whole budget (Over actually). I put in a call as well as several emails to the florist recommended by my friend and received no response.  Maybe my order wasn’t big enough to justify a call back? I began thinking about it.  How hard could it be to bind some flowers together?  With that I took to my computer once again and watched as many bridal bouquet tutorials I could find.  One piece of advice I’m so glad I took was to allow for plenty of time to accomplish all of the bouquets and also to do a trial run to absolutely determine if this was a task I could accomplish. 
One of my bridesmaids Kim and I took to purchasing the right flowers for the job and my wonderful not-yet husband built us a little work table to go about our business.  4 hours, tutorial videos on repeat, many alcoholic beverages and a sun burn later we had completed ONE beautiful bridal bouquet!  At this point we are feeling pretty competent Kim and I.  All liquored up and having accomplished the one bouquet we are thinking we should open up our own shop!  All confidence dissipated a month later when it was time to order the flowers and I began having nightmares about hideous flowers.  Too late now, just go with it!

Not bad for newbies!  We used three carnations bunched together to create the same size flower as a cabbage rose.
Over the next 2 months I went about collecting all of the supplies I would need to pull this off. Gardening shears (buy good ones cause mine sucked), floral tape (green), green craft wire (for gerbera daisies so they don’t wilt), fishing line (to bind each section together), ribbon and corsage pins.
The night before the wedding, three of the most wonderful ladies accompanied me to the hall where my flowers were awaiting me.  At 9:30pm at night we began the arduous process of de-thorning and leafing the flowers and applying the wire and floral tape to the gerbera daisies (note: do not go too far down the stem because you will need to trim the stems and you don’t want the floral tape and wire to be visible at the end of the stems when you are finished.  Only about 5 inches from the base of the flower is necessary. We got carried away).  Once we had 3 gerbera daisies wrapped and 25 roses de-thorned I began to create my bridesmaid bouquets.  I’m not going to lie; I got better as I went.  The trick with creating a rounded bouquet look is to cross your stems.  I started with three in the center and then added flowers working around the base, all the while crossing the stems.  It looks bulky at first but once you bid them it isn’t at all.  I bound each layer so it would be easy to maneuver the bouquet as I worked.  Once I had the size and shape I wanted I would look it over from every angle, determine if there were holes, pull some flowers up, push some down and then wrap the stems in floral tape starting two inches from the base and working my way down.  Leave two inches of stem from the base of the ribbon and floral tape because you will have to put the flowers in water. Trim your stems and then add your ribbon.  We tied our ribbon to the base of our bouquets leaving two inches of ribbon to tuck and cover.  Slowly wrap the ribbon around the stems in the same direction you crossed your stems.  This will help keep the flowers in position.  If you try to wrap in the opposite direction you will be pushing the stems away from each other which will move the flowers out of position potentially.  Once you have your stems wrapped, tuck the ribbon under on itself so you can’t see the rough edge of the ribbon and pin with corsage pins.



We finished all 6 bouquets by 12:45am.  That’s not bad when you think about all the work involved.  I finished my bouquet in 15 mins which I think was the record.  Because I used larger garden roses as well as regular roses and gerberas it didn’t take as long.  An all rose bouquet has less forgiveness on shape than if you used fluffier roses or other flowers.  




I would definitely do my friends flowers for their weddings since we are totally pro now! HAHHAAHAHAHAHAAHA
But seriously, I saved so much money doing my own flowers.  I ordered 5 bunches of 25 cabbage roses, 6 bunches of 25 roses, 7 bunches of 10 gerberas, 2 bunches of 25 carnations and two bunches of baby’s breath for $470.
If you have the time and patience and any skill what-so-ever I definitely suggest going this route!

No comments:

Post a Comment