Search This Blog

Monday 19 August 2013

Hire a Coordinator!


Trust me!
BRIDES!! Are you listening?  If you have decided to get married on a budget and you are doing lots of DIY projects and you have your hand in everything going on in your wedding, and you’re not getting married at a hotel or a golf course but instead in a hall, barn, cabin etc where you have to book all the vendors yourself and do all of your own set up; HIRE A COORDINATOR!
Now that I have gotten that run on sentence out of my system I cannot put enough importance or emphasis on this one thing.  Even if you ask one of your close friends (who isn’t in the wedding party) or a relative to take over the day of coordinating, please for your own joy and peace of mind on the day of, delegate all of the day of responsibilities to someone else.
I planned everything and I had a very specific vision.  Very specific.  I thought I had everything covered and I was feeling pretty proud of myself until after the ceremony I was informed that all of the prep work I told the bartender would be done had gotten missed amongst all the other very important things that needed  to get done (that of course I insisted I do) the day before.  The float for the bartender apparently is an important thing to provide. Ooops.  I was lucky enough to have an amazing MC who took it upon herself to also be my on the spot in the moment wedding coordinator who handled all of the things I had forgotten.  

Chaos!

During your wedding you do not want to still be coordinating the event.  You want to be in the moment enjoying everything.  I can honestly say I didn’t relax until we had checked all of the “picture” moments off the list (cake, garter, bouquet, first dances).  Thank goodness for friends and family who take initiative because I don’t think I would have had nearly as good a time if many many responsibilities were not taken over by our loved ones.  
So, brides.  Loosen the reins and let someone else steer for that day because you will be thankful.  If you have $650-900 extra in your budget to hire a professional I can now see that they earn every dollar they charge. 
Another note from experience:  Decorating always takes twice as long as you think it is going to.  We were lucky and we were able to book our hall for a few hours the day before since we were married on a Friday.  It took us over 4 hours to decorate the whole hall, not including ceremony prep.  Granted we had a lot of assembly work to do.  Because I made all of our centre pieces they needed to be put together at the hall and all of the table numbers needed to be set up depending on if the centre piece was a flower arrangement or a branch setting since all of our picture frames were different sizes and would need to be arranged based on height; which meant the pictures and numbers couldn’t be put in until the tables were arranged and set up with centre pieces! Yikes! I’m glad I was getting my nails done at that point.  After my lovely friends and family finished setting up a couple of my girlfriends and I went back to clean up and make the bridal bouquets (that’s a whole other blog!).  The next morning I had to return to the hall to take the floral center pieces out of the fridge so the flowers would open in time for the ceremony.  The groomsmen and our fathers arrived early to set up the ceremony site which was an issue because it had rained all morning so we had to relocate the ceremony. 

Despite it all it turned out lovely!

So, like I said.  Hire someone!  Anyone! To help with set up and or coordinating. Whether you pay them or not, have someone in charge who isn’t you or your partner.  My words of wisdom passed on.

No comments:

Post a Comment